The "Postcards" have arrived!
Back in June, we let you know we were requesting submissions from our students about their placements. We got some great pictures that really highlight what a dynamic, creative and FUN clinical community we have in both Saskatchewan and Alberta. Here's a what they looked like when we pulled them together.
We had postcards from Canora, Rosetown, Cochrane, Edmonton, Bonnyville, Outlook, and Calgary! Here's one of my favorite stories:
"This is a picture of [A], the boy I worked with this summer, and his friend. Kids at A's school don't like to play with A. because he has autism. The parents of these kids don't let their kids come to A's birthday parties. There is a stigma attached to having the label of autism but this little girl doesn't think A is different at all. She genuinely likes to be around A and plays with him like she plays with any other kid. She's patient with him and makes sure he feels included. She treats him like a typical kid while everyone else treats him differently. The world would be a better place for those with disabilities if people were all like A's friend." Andrea
This little girls sounds like a future Occupational Therapist to me!! Thanks to all the students who submitted!
WHAT ELSE IS HAPPENING THIS FALL?
- Year One students are into their first week of classes and have already filled out their selections for their Introductory Placements from October 31-November 4. Thanks to all our great sites and preceptors for offering to give this group their first fieldwork experience - they're pretty excited! A reminder, students are allowed to return to their Introductory site in future placements (they only time they can repeat sites).
- Year Two students are back from summer break and buzzing about their OCCTH 525 placements in May/June (and hopefully enjoying their classmates postcards!). They will head out in January again for OCCTH 526.
- The first "Year Three" students in the new curriculum are excited as they are completing their final placement! Remember that feeling of no longer being the "Student", not knowing what to do with your time now there were no assignments and due dates, and the excitement and trepidation of embarking on your new career? Many of them will be preparing to write the CAOT exam on November 19th.
- Finally, something for YOU! There are U of A Alumni-Student Pub Night events booked
- In Edmonton:,Hudson's on Whyte10307 82 Ave NW EdmontonIn Calgary:,Last Best Brewing & Distilling607 11 Ave SW, CalgaryAppetizer buffet starts atFREE drink ticket for a domestic bottle beer or hi-ball
As always, feel free to contact any member of the fieldwork team if you have any comments, questions or cudo's regarding MScOT student placements!